Comments from past Newsletters: synposis and excerpts
In Science Connection's monthly newsletter, members carry on a lively discussion of issues relating to how members use the network and interact. Topics include those relating to manners, relationship goals and approaches, careers versus relationships, and the hot button issues around age and physical appearance. We also publish comments from "successful" members offering advice to fellow members.
Here we present a synopsis of views on the major topics, illustrated with excerpts from the newsletter.
In the final section, Science Connection's Coordinator-since-its-inception serves up her "pearls of wisdom".
Note that some comments refer to our earlier format, when profiles were not viewable online. Hence the references to "requesting profiles" and so on.
1. USE OF THE SCIENCE CONNECTION NETWORK | General attitudes and approaches | Excess specificity? | Relationship goals (friendship vs. romance) |
2. CONTACTS AMONG MEMBERS | Mode of contact: letter, phone, or e-mail | Timing of phone calls | Importance of respecting stated preferences | Substance of initial contacts | Replies vs. non-replies | Whether men like women to contact them |
3. AGE, AGE PREFERENCES, AGE PREJUDICES | Men seeking younger women | Dishonesty regarding age | Age and the desire for a family | Older woman/younger man | Other views regarding age |
4. PHYSICAL APPEARANCE/ATTRIBUTES | Physical appearance in general | Weight | Height |
5. CONTENT OF MINI-PROFILES AND BIOGRAPHICAL PROFILES | Members' advice re amount and type of information to supply| What inspires members to contact another member | Acronyms |
6. PHOTOS | Members who prefer not to use a photo or who view them as non-essential | Members advocating the use of photos | Quality and suitability of photos |
7. RELATIONSHIPS | First date suggestions | The perils of first impressions | Long-distance relationships | Separated marital status | Relationships, careers and gender | Relationship among equals? |
Science Connection Copyright ©