Science Connection Member Polylogue, part 10
General comments (just a few!)
These comments were hard to categorize, but we thought them worth including.
- I have been pleased to belong to Science Connection even though I have not been able to
attend any gatherings or had a lot of "activity" as regards to member contact, as it has been an
important part of my healing of a bad marriage. It has been most encouraging to read about the
interesting people and lives of the members. I feel as if there are lots of other folks with similar
backgrounds. I have also met a wonderful man (through Science Connection) who is restoring my
trust, faith in honesty and integrity and just a great person to spend time with.
For many years I have found the folks I dated made me feel bored, or an unusual person. Science Connection has helped me to realize it's OK to be female and intelligent and educated and a scientist .... It's a difficult task to integrate all the different facets of one self in the 1990's. Keep up the "connection".
- For a population skewed towards scientific and creative thinkers, SC has some rather rigid members. I'm tired of the preachy tone of some recent letters, telling people that they should respond to email, or shouldn't be offended if a letter is unanswered, that they should/shouldn't care about one's age or weight, or telling what attitude they ought to have in matters of the heart. For crying out loud, if any of us were such experts at seeking/finding/maintaining a great romantic relationship, we probably wouldn't be batting these letters about to begin with - would we??? It's also interesting to note that members who report success in connecting with a compatible mate tend to offer gentle suggestions rather than directives. In other words, one clue to forming good relationships might just be the ability to be a bit flexible.
- Although there still isn't any romance in my life, I've met several very nice and interesting people whom I now consider friends. I've been involved with other groups before, but I feel a particular affinity for folks I encounter here.
- By the way, after having only one date through SC this year, have suddenly found several nice potentials who I am in communication with and will be meeting shortly. You never know when someone who is "your type" will come along.
- I am writing to inactivate my Science Connection membership because a wonderful man
has come into my life and there's no point in getting to know others at this time!
While I did not meet him through SC, being a member of SC has been a wonderful learning experience about this fascinating process of finding a partner. It has also been a lot of fun! I have been impressed with the quality of men met through SC -- mostly interesting lives, honest, focused.
But more than the men I met, SC helped me clarify who I am and what I want in a partner. The process forced me to put into words feelings we are accustomed to simply flow with. It also encouraged me to stand up for myself and who I am -- an important lesson for some of us raised in the 40's and 50's. SC provided an additional arena where this drama could be practiced and played out. So while I did not meet my new friend through SC, he is attracted to who I am, and I to who he is, and I thank SC for providing some of the experiences that have moved me toward becoming who I, indeed, am.
Science Connection Copyright ©